Boards must be ambitious for all children and infused with a passion for education and a commitment to continuous school improvement that enables the best possible outcomes. It should be driven by inquisitive, independent minds and through conversations focussed on the key strategic issues which are conducted with humility, good judgement, resilience and determination.
Effective Governance is based on six key features:
- Strategic leadership that sets and champions vision, ethos and strategy.
- Accountability that drives up educational standards and financial performance.
- People with the right skills, experience, qualities and capacity.
- Structures that reinforce clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Compliance with statutory and contractual requirements.
- Evaluation to monitor and improve the quality and impact of Governance.
The first two features are the core pillars of the Board’s role and purpose. The second two are about the way in which Governance is organised, and the last two are about ensuring and improving the quality of Governance.